- Simplicity in Cooking: Basic ingredients can create a flavorful and comforting stew.
- Ingredient Versatility: Optional additions personalize and enhance the stew's flavor.
- Seasonal Reflection: The stew mirrors autumn's arrival and cultural traditions.
As the leaves begin to change color and the air grows crisper, our hearts and kitchens yearn for the comfort of a warm, nourishing meal. There's nothing quite like a homemade stew to embody the essence of autumn. This week, we bring you a delightful recipe that captures the spirit of the season - the Harvest Stew, a perfect blend of simplicity and heartiness.
- 4 cups green cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 large green pepper, coarsely chopped
- 1 23-ounce jar of spaghetti sauce
- 1 can of diced tomatoes, drained
- Black pepper, to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- Grated Parmesan cheese, to serve
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Hamburger or sausage, fried and crumbled
- Red pepper flakes
- Banana peppers
- Prepare the Base: Begin by placing the chopped onions and green pepper in a skillet. Add olive oil and a dash of black pepper. Cook these until the onions turn a light brown color, which should take about 30 minutes. This slow cooking process is crucial to bring out the natural sweetness of the onions, adding depth to the stew’s flavor.
- Cook the Cabbage: While the onions and pepper are sautéing, take the chopped cabbage and boil it in a separate saucepan. Be cautious not to overcook the cabbage - it should retain some of its crunch to add texture to the stew.
- Combine and Simmer: Once the cabbage is cooked, drain it and add it to the skillet with the onions and pepper. Pour in the spaghetti sauce and the drained diced tomatoes. If you are including any optional ingredients like hamburger, sausage, or banana peppers, now is the time to add them.
- Serve with Love: Let the stew simmer for a few minutes, allowing the flavors to meld beautifully. Serve hot, garnished with a generous sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. For an extra touch of indulgence, top with shredded cheddar cheese.
This Harvest Stew is more than just a meal; it’s a celebration of the season’s bounty. Each spoonful brings comfort and warmth, making it an ideal dish for chilly autumn evenings. Whether enjoyed alone or shared with loved ones, this stew is sure to become a cherished part of your fall recipe collection.