As we age we put more stress on our hearts. Issues such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and heart disease can be factors that can significantly impact our heart health and our lives. Check out our 7 tips for a more heart-healthy lifestyle.
As we age we put more stress on our hearts. Issues such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, and heart disease can be factors that can significantly impact our heart health and our lives.
Since February is American Heart Month, GetSetUp is offering heart conscience classes with our class series: Give Your Heart Some Love.
Blood pressure affects your heart health
Blood pressure changes throughout the day, but if it stays high for too long it can cause damage to one’s heart and other health issues. In 2018, nearly half a million deaths in the United States included hypertension as a primary or contributing cause according toresearch by the CDC. Unfortunately, according to the US Department of Health and Human Services, almost half of the adults in the US have high blood pressure. This same research shows that high blood pressure is more likely to affect men than women and more common in black adults.
How can you prevent high blood pressure?
By practicing healthy living habits you can help to keep your blood pressure in a healthy range, and reduce your risk for heart disease or a stroke. Simple changes in your daily habits can have a big impact, e according to the CDC.
7 Tips for a more heart-healthy lifestyle
- Eat A Healthy Diet - Healthy foods like fruits and vegetables help you to get the potassium, fiber, and protein you need to stay healthy. Need help with ideas? Take a class on Heart Healthy Cooking.
- Reduce Salt and Saturated Fat Intakes - The DASH (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) eating plan has proven results in helping to lower blood pressure. Want to reduce saturated fats but keep your desserts? Consider Healthy Desserts That Are Delicious Too!
- Keep Yourself at a Healthy Weight - Being overweight or obese increases your risk for a lot of health issues including heart problems. You don’t have to leave your chair to get started. Check out Get Moving with Chair Yoga.
- Stay Physically Active - Physical activity can help you stay at a healthy weight and lower your blood pressure. As little as 30 minutes a day can make a difference! So get out and take a walk, ride a bike, stand up and dance the hustle, or do some yoga, whatever you love most these classes will help you stay active!
- Do not smoke - Smoking causes a lot of health issues. If you are smoking, take on the goal of quitting. It can help reduce your risk for heart disease.
- Limit Alcoholic Beverages - Too much alcohol can raise your blood pressure. The CDC advises that people should limit drinking alcohol to 1-2 per day to help reduce heart-related risks.
- Sleep! - Make sure you are catching your Zzzz’s. Getting enough sleep is essential to your overall health. It gives your body time to recover with a strong heart and healthy blood vessels. Make sure you know the tips and tricks to ensure you are sleeping well.
Give your heart all the love you can and learn how heart health keeps your blood pressure down and your overall health higher.
Give Your Heart Some Love with these informative classes focused on heart health.