The benefits of arts and crafts are well-documented, with studies linking them to lower blood pressure, higher self-esteem, better physical and mental health—and even less risk of developing conditions like dementia.
In this article, we will further cover the benefits of crafting, popular types of crafts to get you started, and how to get involved in the crafting community!
The benefits of crafting
Crafting is a creative, hands-on activity that can help you relax and reduce stress. If you're feeling stressed out, try making a craft or two to take your mind off things.
Crafting can also help you socialize, which is important for mental health because socializing reduces the risk of depression and improves overall wellbeing.
The act of creating something gives you an outlet for creativity—something we all need sometimes! When we're feeling creative, it can enhance our moods as well as improve self-esteem and confidence in our abilities by creating something beautiful from something mundane (like a packet of macaroni). Next, let's explore popular types of crafts you can try!
Popular types of crafts
If you're looking for a new hobby that provides a creative outlet and allows you to connect with others, consider one of the following crafty pastimes:
- Paper crafts (like origami and scrapbooking)
- Scrapbooking (which involves embellishing photos, journals and other paper items with various embellishments)
If that's not your thing, try these other types of "crafts":
- Card making (creating beautiful cards from scratch—for yourself or others)
- Quilting (a traditional form of needlework consisting of sewing layers together to create warmth or decorate an object)
How to get involved in the crafting community
Here are some ways to get involved in the crafting community:
- Find a group of people who share your interests. The easiest way to do this is through an online forum, like the Crafting Community on Reddit or local crafting pages on Facebook. These are great places to meet other crafters and learn new skills.
- Join a local crafting group. If you live near any other crafters, find out if there's anyone around who would be willing to collaborate with you on projects by joining an organization or club for crafty folk!
- Find a local craft store. There are lots of different kinds of shops out there specializing in everything from knitting yarns up through cross-stitch fabrics—and they're all great resources for learning new things about whatever kind of crafts might pique your interest!
- Join a crafting class on GetSetUp and get involved in a community of active older adults!
Crafting activities can improve health and wellbeing, bring people together and create a sense of community. The type of craft you focus on will be determined by what you enjoy or what skills you already have. You can choose a project that is fun, or one that challenges you. If you are looking for an opportunity to learn new skills while having fun, take classes at local stores or hobby centers. There are many different ways to get involved in the crafting community—you just need to find the one that fits your style!