- Testing your internet speed is important to identify any issues and improve your internet connection.
- You can test your internet speed using free speed test tools online or on mobile apps.
- A good download speed is at least 100 Mbps, and a good upload speed is at least 10 Mbps for tasks like streaming videos, attending online meetings, and playing online games.
ou might be wondering, "How fast is my internet?" or "Is my connection slow?"
Well, here's how to find out.
There are many reasons why your Wi-Fi might not be as fast as expected.
The farther you are from your router, and the more walls there are between you and it, the slower your internet speed will be.
Your connection speed may slow during hours of peak usage and if your internet provider enforces data caps or throttles connections to help maintain overall network performance.
For those curious about the true speed of their internet connection, there's a simple way to find out. Running an internet speed test is quick and easy—and free!
Run an internet speed test.
You can find many free speed test apps on the App Store and Google Play, or you can use an internet browser to test your connection's speed.
Here are some of the top speed tests according to CNET:
The speed test results will give you a lot of insight into what is going on with your internet connection.
What is good internet speed?
A good download speed is at least 100 Mbps, and a good upload speed befits 10 Mbps. With these speeds you'll be able to watch Netflix or YouTube, attend Zoom meetings—and play most online games on several devices at the same time!
Here’s a breakdown of common download speed ranges in Mbps and what they’re good for.
- Checking email
- Streaming music on one device
- Searching on Google
- Streaming video on one device
- Video conferencing with Skype or FaceTime
- Online gaming for one player
- Streaming HD video on a few devices
- Multiplayer online gaming
- Downloading large files
- Streaming video in UHD on multiple screens
- Downloading files quickly
- Gaming online for multiple players
- Doing a lot of almost anything on numerous devices simultaneously (Source: High Speed Internet).
These steps will help improve the accuracy of your internet test.
Testing your internet speed is a simple process that can be done in just a few minutes. While it may seem like a tedious task, the more you do it, the better you will become at recognizing what good and bad speeds look like—and hopefully find ways to improve them if need be!