- To secure affordable airfare for the holidays, book as early as possible and pay attention to prices on different days of the week. Consider alternate airports and check other airlines to find the best deals.
- Sign up for alerts on airlines' websites and use rewards credit cards to get more bang for your buck when traveling during the holiday season.
- Despite the holiday season being a difficult time for travel, it's possible to find affordable airfare by comparing prices, being flexible with travel dates and locations, and following the tips provided.
f you're planning to travel this holiday season, you may be concerned about how much your ticket will cost. But there's no need to worry—we've got you covered!
Here are our tips for how to secure affordable airfare for the holidays:
Book as early as possible.
The earlier you book, the better chance you have of securing a low fare. Airlines know that many people book their flights around this time of year and they will be more than willing to cut prices if they can fill seats. The earlier in the year you book, the more options you'll have at your disposal too!
Pay attention to prices on different days of the week.
This might sound silly but it's true! Airlines tend to charge more on weekends so if you're looking for cheap fares, consider traveling on a weekday instead.
Consider alternate airports.
If there's an airport near you that doesn't charge as much, consider taking that route instead of going through your main hub. Not only will it save you money but sometimes it's easier too! Some airlines even offer free shuttles between airports so that's always nice!
Check other airlines.
Don't just stick with one airline for all of your booking needs! Compare prices from different airlines and see if there are any deals available from another carrier.
For example: Delta Airlines may not have a direct flight from Boston to Los Angeles but United Airlines might! Check both carriers' websites before making your decision about which airline will get you where
Sign up for alerts on airlines' websites.
Most airlines offer email alerts or text messages when prices drop on tickets in your search criteria. Just make sure that your alerts are set up before you begin searching so that you don't miss out on any deals.
Don't forget about credit cards.
If you have a rewards credit card, use it to purchase your ticket! There are tons of great perks available with these cards that can help you get more bang for your buck when it comes to traveling during the holiday season.
For example, if you have an airline rewards card with United Airlines and book a flight with United during the holidays, you'll get double miles on all flights booked between November 9th and December 31st!
The best way to save money on flights is to book early, especially for the holidays.
I'll say it again, book early!! Many airlines will increase their prices closer to the holiday season and offer cheaper fares when people are less likely to travel.
You can look at flight prices in advance by following a few steps:
- Find out what dates you want to travel on and where you want to go (these should be fairly flexible).
- Look at different booking sites that list airfare prices from all major airlines.
- Compare them with each other so that you can get an idea of how much each airline charges for a certain route during your preferred time frame and which ones are more expensive than others (this will help you decide which airlines have lower costs).
Just because the holiday season is one of the hardest travel times of the year, doesn't mean you can't find a deal.
Believe it or not, you will be able to find affordable airfare without all the added frills and fluff—you just have to know where to look and what to look for. Follow our tips above and you are set!