Try Sahana's twist on this traditional citron curry.
1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon sesame seeds
1/4 cup grated coconut
Pinch of asafoetida
1/4 teaspoon garam masala (Indian spice blend) powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
Water for cooking
Salt to taste
1/2 inch ginger (optional)
2 garlic pods (optional)
1. Wash and wipe citron completely.
2. Squeeze out the juice as much as you can from citron and cut them into bite sized pieces.
3. In a pot, dry roast a pinch of mustard seeds, cumin, and fenugreek seeds.
4. Switch off the flame and add sesame seeds, asafoetida, and grated coconut.
5. Grind all of the ingredients from step 3 and 4 along with ginger and garlic pieces to a smooth paste.
6. Add oil to a pot and add mustard seeds. When the seeds start to crackle, add turmeric powder and citron.
7. Cook citron on medium flame until it becomes soft.
8. Add ground masala, garam masala, and salt to this.
9. Cook for a few more minutes and switch off the flame.
10. Enjoy with hot rice and a dollop of clarified butter.