Health concerns led Marlene to adopt a vegan diet in 2013. She enjoys encouraging others to eat plant-based meals in her role as GetSetUp Community Host for Simply Delicious Meatless Recipes. She adapted a recipe for sweet potato pie that is a family favorite at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter
1 ½ hours
1 cup of oat meal flour
1 cup of raw soaked pecans (or nuts of your choice)
1/8 cup of date paste
2 cups of cooked sweet potatoes
1 cup of cooked butternut squash
1/4 cup plant-based milk
1/4 cup of vegan butter
3/4 cup of monk fruit sugar (lakanto monk fruit sweetener)
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 eggs replacer (Bob’s Red Mill egg replacer)
1. Blend ingredients together and press in a 10-12 inch pie pan
2. Refrigerate for 30 minutes
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine all ingredients in the blender.
3. Blend two minutes or until smooth.
4. Pour in pie shell.
5. Cook 30-45 minutes.
6. Check pie after 25 minutes.
7. Cool pie and place in refrigerator overnight.
*Remember to taste your pie and season to your taste.