N

owadays, people often work as independent contractors rather than being hired as employees. The gig economy has become increasingly popular in recent years, with many companies and individuals relying on independent contractors to perform various tasks.

Gig workers are paid differently than traditional employees because they are not considered to be full-time employees of the company that hires them. Instead, they receive payment for each task they complete and are not paid a salary.

In general, gig workers tend to get paid more per hour than traditional employees because they are not required to work full-time hours and do not receive benefits or other perks that many full-time employees enjoy. However, this extra money does come with a few drawbacks for most gig workers including lack of job security and no benefits such as health insurance or paid vacation time.

The payment structure of gig workers varies depending on the type of gig.

For example, an Uber driver is paid by the hour (it's called an "hourly" wage, but it's actually more like a "piece rate").

The driver earns $1 per mile and $0.20 per minute, plus a base fare of $2.55. So if they drive for an hour, they earn $1 + $0.20 per minute x 60 minutes = $3.60 + $2.55 = $6.15 in revenue. Then Uber takes 20% of that revenue as their fee and gives the rest to the driverÔÇö$6.15 * 80% = $4.77 in total profits for this ride!

Other gigs are based on flat rates or commissions; some are even based on tips! A flat rate means that no matter what you sell/do or how long it takes, you'll be paid a set amountÔÇöfor example, if you're selling tickets to a concert through Eventbrite, you'll get between 60-80% of the ticket price no matter what happens; if you're babysitting for a family friend via Care Babysitting Service, you might get paid a flat fee per hour.

Other gig jobs pay per job or task completed. For example, if you're working as a graphic designer, you'll be paid $50-$100 for each design you complete (and sometimes more if it's customized). If you're working as a virtual assistant or administrative assistant, you'll be paid $20-$40 per task completed (and sometimes more if it's customized).

And finally, some gig jobs pay per project completedÔÇölike website development projects that have fixed budgets and timelines but no set number of hours required to complete them.

Overall, the short answer: it depends.

As a gig worker, there are different factors that determine your pay, employer included. Make sure that you understand how a company pays its workers in order to ensure efficiency and get the most out of your gig.

To learn more about GIG work, check out our other articles:

Posted 
Aug 2, 2022
 in 
Work
 category

Live Clases by

View All
No items found.