You have your idea and business plan. Now it's time to pitch your proposal to potential investors! Take a look at these research-backed tips to make your presentation successful.
You have your idea and business plan. Now it's time to pitch your proposal to potential investors. Take a look at these research-backed tips to make your presentation successful.
1. Know your material. It seems obvious but knowing the details of your business forwards and backward helps you stay in control while reducing potential anxiety.
2. Acknowledge your body. Know ahead of time that you might shake or your voice might quake. The autonomic nervous system causes these natural flight, fight, and freeze responses. Your autonomic nervous system is there to protect you, and acknowledging that it will react ahead of time might help lessen the shock factor when your heart begins to race. Keep in mind that you are probably the only one who will notice these reactions.
3. Practice visualization and imagine yourself succeeding. Create a mental map of the stage or Zoom screen, then visualize yourself taking your place and beginning your speech. Imagine the expression on your face, hear your words, and see yourself succeed! Studies show that visualization techniques increase confidence and performance. So close your eyes and take a few minutes to complete this easy step.
4. Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Some of the most iconic lines from movie history were unscripted! Just a few examples include "You're gonna need a bigger boat" from Jaws and Harrison Ford saying "I know" instead of "I love you too." Sometimes mistakes make the final product infinitely better than your original idea.
5. Exercise. Physical activity is proven to relieve feelings of anxiety and stress. According to recent research, exercise enhances memory and cognitive function. Try yoga, tai chi, or dancing classes here.
We hope these tips will help you succeed in your presentation pursuits. Look out for more entrepreneurship hacks that are coming soon!