f you're new to TikTok, it might seem like an intimidating or confusing place to start. But if you learn a few basics about how to get started, what kinds of videos you can share, and how to find other users that you want to follow, then there's no reason why older adults shouldn't be able to get in on the fun as well!
What is TikTok?
You might be wondering: What exactly is TikTok?
- TikTok is a social media platform that allows users to share short videos and connect with others in their community. It's similar to Instagram and Snapchat, but it has been designed specifically for mobile devices.
You might also be wondering: Is there an age limit?
- There isn't one! Anyone can sign up for TikTok, no matter what age they are! Your child or grandchild may enjoy making fun videos of themselves or their friends, or perhaps they'd like to join in on existing conversations about news events happening around the world. No matter who you are or what your interests are, you'll find something relatable on TikTok.
How Do I Get Started on TikTok?
- Download the TikTok app on your mobile device. You can find a link to download TikTok in the App Store or Google Play. Once you’ve downloaded it, create an account by signing in with Facebook or using your phone number.
- Upload a video to your profile, add text and filters, and make something new! You can also take advantage of all the pre-made content that’s already there — meme videos are especially popular among older adults — but make sure to add some personal touches as well!
What Kinds of Videos Can I Share on TikTok?
- The videos you share on TikTok are limited to 15 seconds.
- You can record them with your phone or tablet camera, or you can use a professional camera. If you want to go the extra mile, consider recording your video using a selfie stick, selfie drone, or even an underwater camera. Just remember that if it’s too long (more than 15 seconds), it will be cut off at that point!
How Do I Find and Follow Other Users on TikTok?
As a new user of TikTok, you may be asking yourself how you can find and follow other users on the app. The answer is that there are a few different ways to do so.
First, if you know someone who is already using the platform and want to keep up with their activity, simply ask them for their username (this will be something like @username). You can also search for them by hashtags or keywords related to what they post (for example, if they often post videos of themselves eating food at restaurants with friends, searching "food" might be helpful).
If your friends aren't as tech-savvy as you are and have not yet joined TikTok themselves—or even if they have but never told you their username—you can still use the app's search feature to find people like them. On this screen, type in any keywords that describe your friend's personality or interests; these should include words like "social," "active," and "funny." You'll see a list of results appear below these terms; clicking any one will bring up profiles belonging exclusively to users who match what was inputted into this space.
Another way would be through hashtags: Searching for specific ones such as #TiktokAdults or #TiktokSeniors might help narrow down potential matches from among thousands available on social media sites worldwide!
What Should I Be Careful of When Using TikTok?
There are some important things to keep in mind when using TikTok to ensure that your experience with the app is safe, fun, and rewarding.
- Don't share personally identifiable information (PII) like your name, address or phone number. Some users may not be who they say they are and could use this information to harass you or access other sensitive information about you.
- Don’t post photos of others without their permission. The app takes precautions against people uploading inappropriate content, but there is still a risk that someone can post something offensive or embarrassing on your behalf.
TikTok is a unique social platform for older adults to connect with their children and grandchildren so that they can stay engaged with the latest trends.
We hope you learned how to get started in this article. Become a part of the TikTok community today to stay connected and entertained!
If you want to learn more about how to get started using TikTok,
watch our class on TikTok basics here: TikTok - What is it?