Today I Learned...
abor Day is a great time to get together with family and friends.
If you're hosting a cookout or party this Labor Day, don't worry! These recipes will make your life easier because they're all easy and delicious.
Appetizer - Mango Salsa
This mango salsa is the perfect addition to your Labor Day cookout. It's sweet, spicy, crunchy—and ridiculously easy to make. You can use it as an appetizer or as a side dish with your grilled chicken or fish.
- 1½ cups mango, cut into a large dice
- ½ cup strawberries, cut into a large dice
- ½ cup avocados, cut into a large dice
- ⅛ cup red onion, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 red jalapeño, seeded, deveined, and minced
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, slivered
- 2 limes, juiced (about ¼ cup)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Mix all of the ingredients (besides cilantro, lime & honey) in a medium size bowl.
- Heat the lime juice and honey in the microwave for 15 seconds and whisk to combine.
- Let it cool, then add 2 tablespoons to salsa and gently fold to combine.
- Add more honey lime juice to taste and garnish with cilantro (Source: Food Crush).
Side - Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Skewers
Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus Skewers are a delicious and easy appetizer for your Labor Day cookout. The best part about this recipe is that you can make it in advance, so there's little cleanup afterward. Plus, the bacon provides a great source of protein and the asparagus has lots of vitamin C and fiber!
So get ready to add some variety to your Labor Day menu with this delicious recipe!
- 1 tbsp. sweet paprika
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 (16-oz.) package bacon, cut crosswise into 4 pieces
- 1 lb. asparagus, each spear cut crosswise into 3 pieces
- Vegetable oil
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, coriander, and cumin. Add bacon and toss to coat.
- Wrap one piece of bacon around one piece of asparagus. Thread onto a skewer and repeat with remaining bacon and asparagus until each skewer has 8 pieces.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan over medium and lightly oil grates. Cook skewers, turning a few times until bacon is crisp and asparagus is tender - about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving platter and serve warm (Source: Delish).
Main - Easy Grilled Lemon Garlic Shrimp
This is a great summer recipe that's easy to make and tastes amazing. It's perfect for Labor Day because it's quick, but still has all the flavor you'd expect from a delicious Labor Day cookout.
- 2 pounds medium or large shrimp - peeled and deveined
- 8 tablespoons butter
- zest and juice of 1 lemon - (about 2 tablespoons of juice and however much zest you can get from the lemon)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Oil and preheat grill to medium-high. Skewer the shrimp onto metal or wooden skewers (if using wooden, be sure to soak them in water for 30 minutes before to keep them from burning).
- Add butter to a small saucepan. Melt completely, then bring to a boil. Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, and garlic and stir over medium heat for about a minute until garlic starts to brown a little bit. Remove from heat.
- Brush both sides of the shrimp with butter sauce. Sprinkle shrimp with Italian seasoning.
- Grill shrimp 5-8 minutes on each side until cooked through and starting to brown just slightly.
- Drizzle the remaining lemon butter mixture over the shrimp (for a lighter meal, don't use up all of the butter sauce) and serve immediately (Source: Creme de la Crumb).
Dessert - Mixed Berry Slap Pie
Mixed Berry Slap Pie is the perfect end to your barbecue or picnic. And if you're looking for a great way to use up your summer berries, this Mixed Berry Slap Pie is sure to be a crowd-pleaser!
To see the full recipe, click here.
Celebrate Labor Day with these easy recipes.
Labor Day is the perfect time to relax with friends and family around a grill. These recipes are easy enough for any cook to master, but delicious enough to impress guests. So gather round the table (or backyard), raise your glass, and enjoy!