Today I Learned...
- Older adults are also flocking to the platform, attracted by its fun and entertaining content and its ability to connect them with others online.
- TikTok can help seniors stay mentally stimulated and socially engaged.
- TikTok has become a platform where seniors can find success and fame.
ikTok is a video-sharing platform that has taken the internet by storm. It’s designed to be easy and fun to use, which makes it especially appealing to young people. But what they don’t know is that older adults are also flocking to TikTok!
Here’s a look at why older adults are flocking to TikTok and who they're following:
Why are older adults flocking to TikTok?
Seniors like TikTok for some of the same reasons as teens. It’s fun and entertaining. Older adults are flocking to TikTok because it’s a fun way to connect with others online. With over 80 million active monthly users, TikTok is a great way for seniors to let loose, connect with their children and grandchildren, and stay connected with their friends.
As we grow older, life sometimes becomes less stimulating. Many older adults don't have the energy required for hobbies like dancing or travel—but they do have smartphones! Tapping into this untapped resource can bring people together through an activity that doesn’t require much physical exertion but does promote mental stimulation (and laughter).
TikTok provides a platform where seniors can share videos of themselves doing whatever inspires them: singing along in front of mirrors; playing games like charades; practicing yoga poses; performing magic tricks; even just talking about what makes them happy!
Notable senior Tikok users.
TikTok provides older adults the opportunity to connect with people of a similar mindset. Check out these seniors who have found success on TikTok:
- 87-year-old Jenny Krupa, (@its_j_dog) who has amassed nearly 2 million followers with her sometimes funny and sometimes poignant or sad and often irreverent short videos.
- The Very Cool Grandpa (@theverycoolgrandpa) on TikTok posts funny videos with his 4.3 million cool grandchildren—and has started a second account that already has over 113,000 followers!
- Kim and her grandmother, Gail, share videos on the TikTok app about fashion and celebrities. Their account name is @excusemygrandma
- Joe Allington, but you can calculate it from the last 4 digits of his username, (@grandadjoe1933). He started posting to TikTok at the beginning of the pandemic, and his first video, urging people to “please consider others and not bulk buy,” has gotten tens of millions of views.
TikTok is a great way for older adults to let loose and connect with others online.
Older adults are also flocking to TikTok because they like its simplicity, ease of use, and fun content. They are able to share their passions, exercise creativity, stay in touch with friends and family, and so much more through the app.
If you want and outlet to exercise your creativity and have some fun, check out TikTok! There’s something for everyone on this platform—and it doesn't matter what age you are because there are plenty of channels dedicated solely toward older adults!